This year, National Public Lands Day fell on Sept. 28th. We had the opportunity to collaborate with USFS, BLM, Friends of the Inyo, and IMBA to do some much needed trail work on the bottom section of Lower Rock Creek Mountain Bike Trail. Lots of awesome people showed up, chomped on bagels, donned work gloves, grabbed McLeod’s and loppers, and got working. In addition to a ton of brush clearing work, tread was improved in a few areas (the non-technical parts), and rotting bridges were repaired. The trail was so overgrown in parts that you could not see the line at all, and a couple low-hanging branches were poised to bang your noggin (unless you’ve got wicked bike limbo skills). All in all, the trail is gonna be riding much better now…
Anyhoo, after all the sweat and toil, sandwiches were devoured and washed down with a keg of Paranoids Pale Ale that Mammoth Brewing Company was so generous to donate.
Thank you to everybody that put this event on, and all the volunteers that spent their Saturday with us. You Rock!! Can’t wait for the next one…
This year, National Public Lands Day falls on Saturday, September 28th. To celebrate, we are co-sponsoring a great trail work day on one of our beloved local trails – Lower Rock Creek Mountain Bike Trail. We are collaborating with the U.S. Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, Friends of the Inyo, and International Mountain Bike Association.
We need volunteers- especially mountain bikers: So we can prove that we care about our trails, as we try to foster a relationship with land managers in an effort to expand and enhance our riding opportunities in the Inyo National Forest. This is a great opportunity to give back, and demonstrate solidarity in the mountain biking community.
Fat Bike Mammoth will be providing sandwiches and beverages (beer, soda, water) for lunch. We are offering shuttles to the top of the trail for anybody that wants to ride the trail after work is done. So bring your bike and get shreddy!!
We will also be coordinating carpooling efforts by meeting in the Footloose parking lot at 8am, where we’ll sort out transportation, etc. If you’d like to carpool, please let us know.
- When: 9/28/13 – Breakfast at 8:30am (bagels and coffee provided). Trail work from 9a-12:30p
- Where: Staging is at the lower parking area of Lower Rock Creek Trail (former Paradise Lodge)
- What: We’ll be focusing our efforts on the lowest section – cutting back brush, clearing tread, maintaining wooden bridges, clearing trash, etc.
- Water and snacks will be provided (in addition to breakfast and lunch). Please bring a refillable water bottle.
- Please wear hiking shoes or boots, long sleeve shirt, and long pants. If planning to ride your bike after, bring riding clothes to change into, helmet, etc
- For more info, contact: Kirstin Heins, BLM Recreation Planner: 760-872-5034 / firstname.lastname@example.org
See Ya There!!!