This ride is not technically challenging. The terrain is graded fire road. The climbing is pretty gradual with one tough climb at the end. What makes it rewarding is the spectacular 360 degree views at the top of Bald Mountain. There’s a two-story building a.k.a. the “Lookout” at the top. On a clear day, you can see miles in all directions: Glass Flow Ridge, Mono Lake, Mono Craters, Bodie Hills, White Mountains, Casa Diablo, Crowley Lake, The Palisades, Bloody Mountain, Mammoth Mountain, The Minarets, Ritter, Banner, etc. We highly recommend bringing some maps so you can point out all of the marvelous sights. In addition to the two-story, modern “Lookout” there is an old cabin and outhouse up top – worth taking a gander at.
- Ride Type: Out and Back
- Difficulty: Non-Technical, Moderately Strenuous Climbing
- Time of Year: Spring, Summer, Fall (possible in Winter/snow on Fat Bike if conditions are right)
- Terrain/Conditions: Gravel/graded dirt roads.
- Access: From the junction of Highway 203 and Highway 395, go 11.5 miles north of Mammoth Lakes, just past Deadmans Summit. Make a right turn, and park in the provided area. The ride starts here.
- Length: 22.7 miles
- Approx. Time: 2 – 3 hours (this ride is short in mileage, but has some tough climbing – don’t take it lightly)
- Lowest Elevation: 7,946′
- Highest Elevation: 9,104′
- Total Elevation Gain: 1,578′
- Bike Recommendation: XC Mountain Bike, Fat Bike
- GPX file: Available by contacting us
Turn by Turn (in miles):
Start by heading east on the dirt road (IS05)
1.73- stay straight
3.5- at the old sign, veer right at the Y
5.1- veer left at the Y
6.45- stay straight
7.0- stay straight on the main rd
7.3- veer right
9.36- stay straight on 1S05
9.7- veer right
11.3- reach the summit (retrace these steps to get back to your car)