Ride Report: Uptown / Downtown – Public (Short) Loop – No Bike Park
One of the staples for Mammoth locals and visitors alike. At some point, everyone rides “Uptown – Downtown”. It can either be a great introduction to mountain biking, or an all out lung-buster if you really push it. The version described here is for the “short” loop which goes up to the Earthquake Fault Junction and does not include the portion that enters the Mammoth Mountain Bike Park. You CAN do this ride without purchasing a bike park ticket. If you have a bike park pass/ticket, and you’re looking for a longer loop, consider the Uptown/Downtown Full Loop on the Mammoth Mountain Bike Park Map. Another option is to cross Highway 203 at the Earthquake Fault Junction and continue climbing up Mountain View Trail (a great out and back that is also free to the public without need for a bike park ticket), and then connect back with Downtown. If you’re having trouble figuring out what to ride, or the best way to connect these trails into a ride that suits your style/ability, contact us – and we’ll help you construct a ride that’s right for you!!
WINTER SNOW RIDING:
We started “fatpacking” this loop on snowshoes for winter snowriding. When it’s packed, this is the best singletrack snow riding in Mammoth. If you’re in Mammoth during Winter months and are looking to ride this on your fat bike, contact us first to see if it’s been packed and get an update on current trail conditions.
- Ride Type: Loop
- Difficulty: Minimally Technical, Moderate Climbing, Fast Descending
- Time of Year: Summer and Fall for mountain biking, Winter and Spring when we snowshoe pack it for fat bike use.
- Terrain/Conditions: Mostly singletrack, although Downtown is wider with doubletrack in sections and tends to get sandy in parts with brake bumps in the turns.
- Access: Go up Main St through Mammoth Lakes. Make a right turn on Minaret Rd/ Highway 203. The Village will be on your left, and The Village Parking Lot will be on your right. Park here. Ride up to the intersection of Minaret and Forest Trail. The trailhead is well signed and just ahead on your left.
- Length: 3.8 miles
- Approx. Time: 30 min – 1 hours
- Lowest Elevation: 8,052′
- Highest Elevation: 8,531′
- Total Elevation Gain: 498′
- Bike Recommendation: XC Mountain Bike, Fat Bike, pretty much any bike will do. Be prepared to pedal!
- GPX File: Available by contacting us
Turn by Turn (in miles):
0.0 – start climbing the Uptown Trail (the one on the right). Get into a good rhythm, as you’ll be climbing for a while.
1.9 – reach the Earthquake Fault Junction. Go left here to get on Downtown and start descending back to The Village. If you’re connecting with Mountain View Trail, go right and cross Highway 203 to the Mountain View Trailhead. If you continue going up here, you’ll be in the Mammoth Mountain Bike Park where a ticket/pass is necessary.
3.8 – reach the end of the loop where you started.