Ride Report: Shady Rest Park – Knolls Loop
This is one of the oldest “traditional rides” in the area. We’ve tweaked it slightly to add a couple sections of fun singletrack (possibly the best parts of the ride). You can ride it in both directions, but clockwise is preferred for scenery and enjoyability of terrain. The directions below are for the clockwise route. There are a few tough climbs, including the locally infamous “Hell Hill”. There are also some rip-roaring descents, one of which we dub “Mini Kamikaze”. You also get some great views of the Sherwins, especially when heading southbound on the last half of the ride. Overall, it’s strenuous, but minimally technical. There any many options to cut the ride short, including doing the Hell Hill Loop (which is basically the first half of this ride), if you’re not feeling up to a ride this long. It can be sandy in parts, depending on time of year and motorized use.
- Ride Type: Loop
- Difficulty: Mild-Technical, Strenuous
- Time of Year: Spring, Summer, Fall (possible in Winter/depending on snow pack)
- Terrain/Conditions: Mostly 4×4 roads and doubletrack, soft & somewhat sandy in parts.
- Access: As you drive up Main Street towards The Village, make your first right after the signal at Old Mammoth Rd. This is Forest Trail Rd. (The fire station is on the corner). 100 yards up, look for a small dirt lot on the right. Park here. The trailhead is just ahead to the east.
- Length: 16.4 miles
- Approx. Time: 2 – 3 hours
- Lowest Elevation: 7,615
- Highest Elevation: 8,466′
- Total Elevation Gain: 1,355′
- Bike Recommendation: XC or Fat Bike
- GPX file: Available by contacting us
Turn by Turn (in miles):
Start out on the “Forest Trail Singletrack” – heading towards Shady Rest Campground:
.47 – veer left, stay on singletrack, then continue straight
.96 – left at intersection. you are now on the “Knolls Loop”
1.02 – left again, start climbing. Stay on this main jeep road climb for a while – don’t take any of the off-shoots
2.15 – reach top of climb. Continue straight (don’t go right down the descent) – you’ll climb a little more
2.31 – you’ll see an entrance to some singletrack. continue on this fun section, start descending through the trees to the water tank
2.6 – single track ends, continue straight towards water tank then veer right on a jeep road. stay on this main jeep road for a bit
2.93 – stay on jeep rd as it curves to right
3.22 – left turn at the big T intersection. you’ll start slowly climbing through softer dirt, eventually it gets pretty steep – this is Hell Hill!!
4.0 – reach the top of Hell Hill. drink some water, pat yourself on the back and continue on. it curves right, and you continue up a slight climb
4.46 – veer right at the main intersection- stay on this as it wraps around to the right and descends for a while
5.82 – reach a main intersection. this is Sawmill Cutoff Rd. go left and then a quick right to start climbing up to the eastern portion of the loop. (If you’re tired or just feel like cutting it short, you can turn right here, and finish the shorter Hell Hill Loop.)
— The turn by turn directions from this point on have not been completed. Please email us for the gpx file in the meantime.